Wednesday, July 6, 2011

AO (Acronym Overload)

The Peace Corps loves acronyms, almost to the point where it is getting ridiculous to keep track of all of them. PCT, PCV, IO, CYF, HF, V, OMS, LCF, CD, VAC, DMO, TCF, CRM, PCMO, RM, COTE are just a few. It seems if any word might have to be written more than once, it should be abbreviated. The lingo is like learning another language in itself.

They have been treating us very well. I think they are trying to ease us in a little at a time to reduce the culture shock. Bathing requires the use of a bucket and scoop but they installed air conditioning in the rooms, and although there are Filipino Peace Corps workers here, we are pretty isolated and haven’t really been exposed to the language or community. As for the Filipinos I have met, they are all extremely happy people, always smiling and very nice.

Initial Orientation
We all eat together in a cafeteria and then spend the rest of the day attending various training sessions. I will be here for about 2 weeks. After that we break into small cluster groups of 5 or 6 and travel to our training communities. We are the first batch of volunteers to do it this way. Normally we would be with host families after only a few days. Half of the volunteers are in the Education program like me, while the rest are in the Community, Youth, and Family sector.

We were all given cell phones, and I will post my number on the right. As for internet, it comes and goes, but I’ll try updating regularly while I can. For those of you wondering, I am 15 hours ahead of Arizona time. Today I’m headed to get my shots and Malaria medicine, and sometime tomorrow we find out where we will be training which will determine what language we will learn as well as the area we will eventually be assigned. Can’t wait!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds so amazing already, and you haven't even started your assignment yet! I'm incredibly jealous, although reading about your adventures only makes me more excited about mine. I can't wait to hear more! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete