Monday, October 31, 2011

The Sky is Aliave

Today was the first of a long string of holidays celebrated here in the Philippines. Tomorrow will be All Souls Day and the day after that All Saints Day will be celebrated. Next week is a Muslim holiday, and in between we have the school’s annual district meet and the PC’s Grand 50th Anniversary celebration. Today however has been claimed an unnamed holiday because we felt like we could use one more! And besides, they celebrate Halloween in the states, so why shouldn’t we join in the fun?
It couldn’t have been a more perfect night. A fog rolled in and the three streetlights that are strewn along the street became giant orbs of dim light. I was asked to be a judge for the Masquerade Ball. The children from Mt. Data came in there scariest masks, and a few adults joined in the costume contest as well. I regret forgetting my camera because there were some really great costumes!
Walking home I noticed the night sky, the first time clear enough to see the stars. I’m not sure quite how to say it without being overly poetic. I’ll say that it made even the dark sky back home in Skull Valley seem dead. It was alive, shimmering, glittering, moving. Shooting star after shooting star, like something out of a fantasy movie. The North Star was easy to find, twice the size. And I could see Orion’s Belt, this time clearly with his head, arms, legs, and sheath of his sword. It seemed so close and I stood transfixed for a while before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment