Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In Full Swing

Wow, I just realized that my last post was over a month ago. So, here I am to let you all know that I'm still alive! And here's what's been happening.


School started agian January 3rd, and I arived with a fresh and strong attitude to get going on some projects. So I dove right in, but I'm finding out things move slow here. Very slow. And with teaching classes every day, it's difficult to try and plan for big projects this summer.


I was invited by another volunteer to visit her site and help conduct a reading workshop to the students there. It was successful and  I enjoyed the oportunity to see how the high schools are different in the other regions, and also share ideas with the other volunteers.

Here in the Philippines, every Barangay has a festival, every municipality has a festival, and then there is the Provincial Festival. Last week the teachers took me to Sagada. It is Mt. Province's most famous tourist destination. We went to attend the Etag (dried, smoked meat) Festival. We got to see some amazing street dancing, placed our orders for our Sagada Weaving Products, and ventured into the underground caves. It was a blast.


Our family picture by Lake Danum (Lake "water").
I'm trying my best to do the Igorot squat.

Found a small hidden shack and peeked inside. What did I find?
One of the famous Sagada weavers!

In the caves!

February is by far our busiest month and I could definately use the extra days. This thursday is our prom. The teachers asked me to help out so I've been helping to plan the details for that. The next day is the beginning of our Barangy Fiesta. I'm not really sure what will happen then but Barangay Day seems to be what everyone is talking about. Then, February 24 is my school's Foundation Day. It acts like a parents day/ homecoming. There will be performances and food and all the of the community is invited to come to the school. The teachers asked me to teach them a dance, so we've been practicing the Cotton Eye Joe. Aside from that, the English Club is putting on a fashion show which is now the highlight of the program, and we have practice every day. AAAND, I'm helping teach a group of students the salsa dance that they can perform during the Begnay (municipal) Festival in march.


In March, I have promised the teachers that I will teach them to type fast. But right now i'm just concentrating on the present. Today is Valentin's Day and so I had the students write love letters to their secret crushes and we sent them to the other classes. Some really got into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment