Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Quest for the Enchanted Bamboo

Wild Orchid
overlooking Tipunan

.
At least, it should have been enchanted after what we went through to get it.


Let me back up and explain. One of my projects here is helping to build a Science Greenhouse. I planned this with one of my counterparts months ago. Our hopes are that we can build a greenhouse that can be used as a controlled environment to conduct experiments on plants and soil that are related to the science subjects. This is really great because it would relate to students interests as most of them are farmers. If we can show them that science can be useful for something in their personal lives, then hopefully they will become more eager to learn science. In order to build this thing as cheaply as possible, we decided to build the frame out of bamboo poles. And here begins Part II of Matt's Magical Adventures in the Philippines.


Of course, we could have just bought the poles. We were offered a set of bamboo for p100. Whoa! That's like $2.50! But if we could get it for free by walking, then that's what we would do. It would be worth a nice little hike if we could save some money. Or so we thought. It was told to us that if we were willing to walk a few kilometers, we could cut our own bamboo and carry it back for free.
See the peak in the distance? That's my house.
And so, one of the teachers told us to meet him one bright and sunny morning in the far-flung village of Tipunan. I met the students at the school and we started our trek. I assumed we would simply follow the national highway to the little road that wound its way down to Tipunan. It's a long walk but mostly down hill. There are no rides passing along the road, so anyone wishing to go to (or leave) Tipunan must hike.


Almost immediately the students veered off into the bushes along what revealed itself to be a narrow path. Down, down, down we went. Every now and then we would pop back out at the national highway before the students cut off onto another invisible pathway. As it turned out we were simply cutting the curves of the highway, saving us distance and time.


Arabica Coffee Beans
Eventually, the students who were leading (so much for my chaperoning) wound there way behind a house, down a slippery trail, and onto a dirt road. We walked for nearly 2 hours passing very few people along the way. Those we did see passed us slowly, hands clasped behind their backs, and dirty cloths around their necks to shield them from the sun. They seemed to be concentrating on putting one rubber boot in front of the other in absolutely no hurry whatsoever. We practically galloped by them as we charged down the mountain. 


Native bananas
After a while, we finally reached the bottom. A river rushed past and we crossed a rickety hanging bridge. Natural vegetation was scarce. Nearly everywhere I looked I saw rows and rows of cabbages or potatoes. We all resisted the temptation to jump into the river and cool off, and decided we had better keep moving so we could meet Mr. Pakipac and find the bamboo.


It took us a few more minutes to wind our way into the village of Tipunan. We found Mr. Pakipac's house which was nestled behind the high school. In order to finish our work before lunch, he offered to take us right away to the bamboo grove. I was pretty tired, but agreed we should just get it over with.


Mr. Pakipac shows us the bamboo.
And then we hiked what seemed to me another mountain just as tall as the one we just came down. Up, and up. And up and up. This time there was no road, or even a dry trail. We scrambled up slick mud stairs that had slowly given into a steep slope leading up to the peak. The sun beating at our backs, we climbed breathlessly to the top.


We nearly dropped once we reached the top, but Mr. Pakipac marched straight to a small clump of bamboo and started hacking away. We formed a sort of assembly line; some students cut, others removed the leaves, and the rest passed them down the mountain. After we cut 12 long bamboo poles we headed back down. 


Stripping the leaves off the poles.
At one point I slipped and instinctively grabbed for something to hold on to. However, the only thing around was razor sharp "knife" grass. One of my fingers was sliced open and started gushing blood. One of the students saw and ran and picked some leaves from the side of the trail. I'd seen these before because they are everywhere, and I had always assumed that they were just weeds. So, you can imagine my surprise when he mashed them up and pressed them to my finger. The bleeding stopped instantly!


However, before I could properly thank the student, my attention was caught by something even more amazing. We had reached the a break in the trail and decided to follow a road back to the village. It was longer but not as steep and slippery. Just as I was looking up to ask about this incredible plant that had saved my life, I caught a glimpse of a carnivorous pitcher plant hanging on the cliff above the road. I had never seen on before! And as I looked closer, I noticed there was an entire colony of them! Another student, seeing my interest, walked to the cliff and uprooted a small plant, and handed it to me to grow in my apartment.


Pitcher plants


While waiting for lunch, we decided to
help the community and add to our bottle bricks!
Demonstrated here is the "Igorot Squat."
See if YOU can sit with your butt suspended and
your heels flat on the ground...
After lunch came the hike back up the mountain. We decided to take the road, rather than the trail. Again, it took 2 hours, this time all uphill. I learned why the farmers I had seen before were walking so slowly. Near the end it was all I could do to place one foot in front of the other. But thankfully, just as I was regretting again and again under my breath for not forking over the p100, we reached the national road and it began to rain. The walk back home was easy after that.


By the time I got home, it was cold, and I promised my self I would heat some water for a warm bucket bath. Little did I know I was about to walk in on the beginning of a 3 day brownout and would have no electricity for the next few days.



1 comment:

  1. Your adventures are amazing, friend! At times awful sounding, but definitely amazing.

    ReplyDelete