Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Peace Corps Trainee

As my routine has slowly started to develop, I will share with you how my typical day unfolds.

4:00am. No, that’s not when I get up, just the time when the one hundred and thirty two dogs that live outside my house decide it’s time to wake the neighborhood. At approximately 5:15 the dogs stop barking. At 5:20 the rooster takes over and crows for the next two hours. Shortly after comes the tooting bike horn of the bread cart. He must have friends across the street, because he lingers and toots his horn for at least 15 minutes. Every day.

When I do wake up around 6:30 I am lucky enough to be able to take a hot shower. Then it's downstairs for breakfast which is usually rice and leftovers from dinner the night before. I’m so glad they drink coffee in the Philippines.

After breakfast I set off for my training site, umbrella in one hand and my prepared pack lunch in the other. I live about 5km from my training site, so I walk to the main road and catch a Jeepney to the site for 8.5 pesos (~$.20). I’m finally getting used to umbrellas (I’ve never really had to use one before in AZ). Sometimes Uncle Sam will take me on the way to his shop. Did I mention my host dad happens to be the coolest dude in the Philippines? Today he took me in his Monster Truck, complete with flames and bull painted on the hood.

MWF I attend the Flag ceremony at the High School before language training. After lunch I go back to the school to co-teach my two classes and lesson plan with my counterpart. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays we have language training, assessments, or other training on stuff like safety, health, etc. Saturdays we only train for half a day. Sometimes we get to go use our language skills in the community. Today we went to the market in neighboring Baguio to bargain in Ilokano.

When I come home I eat the most amazing meals. Always rice and usually pork or chicken. Fried bananas for desert. I usually spend the last few hours before bed watching the News or Discovery Channel with the family (Asia’s Discovery Channel is so much better), studying my language lessons, or reading Aunte Apol’s memoir. It’s amazing and incredibly inspiring. She writes how she went from rags to riches; from being disabled and bedridden to becoming a functioning and successful business woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment