Saturday, July 23, 2011

You can call me "Sir"

This past week flew by. The language classes are blowing my mind, but the visit to Benguet National High School yesterday went well. I met my counterpart who I will be working with for 3 weeks. MWF I will facilitate two classes of first year secondary (7th grade). Classes are pretty big...about 60 students crammed into a room big enough for 30.


Those of you who are picturing me dressing like the typical "shaggy" Peace Corps volunteer can delete that image from your minds. While teaching, I'll be in in slacks and dress shirt and shoes. A level of attire that I thought I would be postponing for two years. Time to show the world that I can be a professional! Looks like I'll be ditching the shorts and keens, so it's a good thing I am in thrift shop heaven here. Imagine if all the Savers and Goodwills decided to combine forces in an abandoned hotel. You get the idea. But I think it's going to be a long time before I will get used to being addressed as "Sir Matt." I'll expect that from all of you when I get back.

I was excited to find out that the people in this area are fond of country music and I hear it everywhere. I think it has helped out a bit with preventing homesickness. That and good ol’ McDonalds. Have to be a bit careful though. The term cowboy here can refer to someone who is rogue or a bit of a rebel, or as my host father put it, “Up for anything!”


La Trinidad. I live yonder, across the strawberry fields,
hither the market, and down 500 meters of chaos
thither the vegetable trading post.

My room with my world map.


Cluster group! Language class with Roritz, our awesome Ilokano teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha!!!! Sir Matt! Keep dreaming if you think that's what we're going to call you when you get back. You should totally classify yourself as a cowboy while you're out there. ;)

    Glad you're having fun! Keep the blog updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I introduced myself as a cowboy alright (not a bad one) and the class immediately requested that I sing them a country song. Alan Jackson lend me your voice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhh i'm dying. you are too funny :) and oh gosh country has corrupted that part of the world too. lord save us :) jkkk i actually find myself listening to country on the radio from time to time. I KNOW. miss you booo boooooo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slacks and a button down shirt, huh? You should get a bolo tie to give it a bit of western flair.

    ReplyDelete